Home science can be defined as “education for better living”. The objective is meant for prosperous living and achieving the highest happiness. It encompasses both art and science. Home science essentially deals with different aspects of housekeeping. The objective is to foster the growth, development and wellbeing of individual’s families and communities, utilizing the findings and advances of science and technology. It is a need-based, professionally-course oriented to assist family and community towards improved living. Home science education tries to create an environment and outlook, which will enable people to live richer and more purposeful lives. It tries to provide a wholesome knowledge and right attitude towards family health (both physical and psychological), nutrition, child care, home decoration, elderly care and management during risk and eventualities. It tries further to enrich the lives of each and every member of the family through better understanding of the human relationships.
Home Science in Indian universities is a recognised subject. Since it is a specialised course, there is much demand at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
Eligibility for Home Science course :
10+2 examination with science subjects such as biology, math and chemistry. The duration for this course is 3 years.
Undergraduate courses for Home Science:
- B.Sc. (Home Science)
- B. Sc. (Household Science)
- B. Sc. (Home Science & Nutrition)
- Diploma in Home Science
- Advanced Diploma in Child Guidance and Family Counselling
Specialized fields after Home Science career:
- Home Management
- Household Science
- Child Development
- Extension Education
- Foods and Nutrition
- Clothing and Textiles
Professional Institutes for Home Science:
- Department of Home Science, Institute of Home Economics, University of Delhi. Web : http://www.ihe-du.com/
- A.V. Kamalamma College for Women, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Web : https://angrau.ac.in/angrau/academics.php
- Adharshila College of Education, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.
- Angul Mahila Mahavidyalaya (AMM), Odisha.
Placements after Home Science degree:
- Teaching in schools and colleges
- Research assistants; Junior Research Fellow
- Therapeutic dietician
- Field supervisors
- Food preservation
- interior decorator
- international agencies like UNICEF, CARE, NIPCCD, World Bank
- Welfare organizations
- Apparel merchandising
- Restaurants and cafeterias