Earlier it was thought that agriculture is confined to farmers living in rural areas only, especially in the Indian context. But this field of career has enormous potential so far as agricultural commodities like flowers, spices, cereals, oilseeds and vegetables are concerned. Food is the first and foremost requirement of human beings and it has become a highly profitable business. Due to scientific researches in this field, there is tremendous scope in both academics and other areas.
Since India is one of the largest producers of agricultural products like vegetables and fruits, it has attracted the attention of exporters who supply these commodities on global scale. Due to continuous scientific researches in agriculture field, new varieties of food stuff are emerging every now and then. An agriculture scientist is involved in research to design the production and processing of food products like meats, fish, and varieties of dairy products. If you visit a modem store in your area, you will find hundreds of varieties of biscuits and other eatables. Its importance can be gauged from the fact that maximum number of shops in any market belong to items connected with food, including eateries.
The job opportunities in the agriculture field can be summarised as : production and supply of veg get jobs in poultry and breeding farms, seed companies, nurseries, agribusiness, forestry, fishery, beautification of surroundings in holiday resorts, health farms and hotels through landscapes and horticulture.
10+2 with science subjects from any recognised board
Entrance exams :
Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) conducts an all India entrance examination for admission to undergraduate programme in agricultural and allied subjects. The entrance exam for undergraduate admissions consists of only one question paper with objective type questions. The question paper is bilingual i.e. English and Hindi.
- For stream A, the subject composition is Physics, Chemistry, Biology I Agriculture.
- For stream B, the subject combination is Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- B.Sc. in Agriculture: (4-years)
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Agriculture: (3-years)
- Diploma course in Agriculture (2-years)
- Certificate Course in Agriculture Science: (1-year) after Class X
Those who are selected, the following undergraduate programmes are offered in many of the state agricultural universities:
- Agriculture Engineering
- Home Science
- Dairy Technology
- Food Science and Technology
- Agricultural Marketing
- Banking and Co-operation
For further details, contact:
Indian Council of Agricultural Research. web : https://icar.org.in/
A few well-known agriculture universities In India:
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University (ANGRAU), Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Web : https://angrau.ac.in/angrau/
- Anand Agricultural University, Anand, Gujarat. Web : http://www.aau.in/
- Assam Agricultural University (AAU), Jorhat, Assam. Web : http://www.aau.ac.in/
- Birsa Agricultural University (BAU), Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Central Agricultural University (CAU), Imphal, Manipur. Web : https://www.cau.ac.in/
- Central Institute on Fisheries Education, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Dr. Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture & Forestry, Himachal Pradesh. Web : http://www.yspuniversity.ac.in/
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, Uttar Pradesh. Web : https://gbpuat.ac.in/
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. Web : https://www.iari.res.in/
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya (IGKVV), Raipur, Chhattisgarh. Web : http://www.igau.edu.in/
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya(JNKVV), Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Web : http://jnkvv.org/
- Junagadh Agricultural University (JAU), Junagadh, Gujarat. Web : http://www.jau.in/
- Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture & Technology (MPUAT), Udaipur, Rajasthan. Web : https://www.mpuat.ac.in/
- Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, Punjab. Web : https://www.pau.edu/
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, Jammu & Kashmir. Web : http://www.skuastkashmir.ac.in/
- West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences, Kolkata, West Bengal. Web : https://wbuafscl.ac.in/