Everybody is familiar with the function of a nurse. A nurse is the second mother. Who has not heard about Florence Nightingale! A nurse takes care of the patients in the hospitals so that they recover from the ailments. After the doctors finish their job, the nurses do numerous sorts of work like giving medicines in time as prescribed by doctors, vaccinating, giving emotional support, assisting mothers in childbirth and helping patients with all kinds of their needs. Nursing includes the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and the care of ill and disabled people.
Nurses are required in every field of medicine and surgery. Right from helping surgeons in anesthesia till the patient recovers, they work day and night. Nursing is the most diverse of all healthcare professions. They work in emergency, health management of patients, critical care, midwifery and matron, neonatal, obstetrics, orthopedics, pediatrics, military service, schools, etc.
Nursing is one of such professions where nobody is unemployed. The moment a nurse qualifies with a degree or diploma, she is absorbed immediately in hospitals and nursing homes. Nursing profession has a long history in India but in modem times, Florence Nightingale had great impact over nursing in India. She had good knowledge of Indian conditions and worked for civilians as well as for army personnel.
The Indian Nursing Council is a national regulatory body for nurses and nurse education in India under the Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. There are also many registered state-level nursing councils like Delhi, Karnataka, Mizoram, Maharashtra Nursing Council, etc.
Minimum and maximum age for admission will be 17 and 35 years.
For undergraduate courses a candidate should pass 10+2 with science (PCB) and English Core/English Elective with aggregate of 45% marks from a recognized board.
- Auxiliary Nurse & Midwifery (2 years)
- General Nursing & Midwifery (31/2 years)
- B. Sc. (4 years)
- For specialized education, one can pursue M.Sc. and Ph.D.
Career opportunities of nursing In India:
- Ward supervisor
- Ward nurse
- Nursing superintendent
- Community health nurse
- Teaching in nursing
- Military nursing
- College of Nursing, Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune, Maharashtra. Web: www.afmc.nic.in
- Christian Medical College, Ludhiana, Punjab.Web: www.cmcludhiana.in
- College of Nursing, AIIMS, Delhi. Web: www.aiims.edu
- Bharati Vidyapeeth’s College of Nursing, Pune, Maharashtra. Web: www.bharativiclyapeeth.edu
- Govemment College of Nursing (Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh; Delhi; Kozhikode, Kerala)
- All the hospitals, nursing homes and clinics
- Domestic services
- industrial companies
- Overseas jobs
- Academic institutions