Veterinary Science is a branch of science dealing with diagnosing in animals, birds, domestic pets, poultries and livestock and then treating and curing the same. This also includes care of animal health as well as animal husbandry and handling of livestock. Veterinary doctors also perform surgery of animals if required, besides administrating necessary vaccinations from time to time for preventing and spreading the diseases to other animals.
The job of a veterinary doctor is not that easy, because he cannot ask an animal ‘what he has eaten’ ! Unlike human beings, he cannot direct the animal to do what the doctor wants. For this purpose, he requires to know the behaviour and characteristics of animals which vary from animal to animal. He must know the anatomy of animals. A vet should have love and compassion for animals to stay in this profession.
A qualified veterinary doctor is much in demand, especially in metropolitan cities as people here are fond of pets. They are required in government and private hospitals besides in zoos and national parks, zoo, poultry and animal farms, dairy farms, race clubs, mounted regiments in army, and government animal husbandry departments. Some have private clinics like dog’s clinic.
10 + 2 with science subjects
(Veterinary Council of India conducts an ‘All India Entrance Examination’
Duration of course is 4 1/2 to 5 years.
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc.& AH)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Animal Genetics and Breeding)
- Bachelor of Science (Animal Production Management)
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Veterinary Education and Research, Puducherry Web: http://www.ragacovas.com/
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Mhow, Madhya Pradesh. Web: http://www.ndvsu.org/
- Department of Animal Science, Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Rohilkhand University, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh Web: http://mjpru.ac.in/department_animal_science.html
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh, Gujarat. Web : http://www.jau.in/covs/
- Khalsa College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Amritsar, Punjab. Web : https://www.kcvas.com/
- Sn Ganganagar Veterinary College, Rajasthan.
- Faculty of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Birsa Agricultural University, Ranchi, Jharkhand
- College of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, Central Agricultural University, Mizoram. Web : https://www.cvsccauaizawl.edu.in/
- Department of Animal Nutrition, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata, West Bengal. Web : http://wbuafscl.ac.in/animal-nutrition/
- Department of Animal Production and Management, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata, West Bengal. Web : https://wbuafscl.ac.in/
- Veterinary assistants,
- veterinary surgeons,
- veterinary scientists,
- specialist veterinarians,
- animal clinics,
- zoological parks,