Merchant Navy is the commercial fleet of non-combatant ships dealing with the transportation of cargo and passengers. Though you spend the major part of your life on ships where you come across too many problems, but at the end you are the winner by accumulating a lot of money. If you like adventures and want to see the world without spending money, then Merchant Navy must be your choice.
India has one of the largest merchant shipping fleets that includes passenger ships, cargo ships, container ships, tanker ships, etc. Merchant Navy is a highly professional and technologically advanced industry. It is a peaceful global body which is into transportation of goods and people, comprises passenger vessels, cargo, cruise liners, and other specialized ships to carry goods from one country to another.
You must be acquainted with what job you will be holding on the ships. There are various departments which are assigned important duties on the ships. The in charge of the ship is called ‘Captain’ who is responsible for the navigation and safety of passengers, crew and cargo. The officers in the Deck department look for the maintenance of the ship’s hull and safety of the equipment.
Every ship has a captain or master who is in charge of the ship. He is responsible for the navigation, discipline and the safety of the passengers, crew and cargo. He must ensure the observance of national and international codes of conduct. The marine engineers of the engine department operate and maintain navigational systems and ensure functioning on the technical parts of the vessel. The Service department does the remaining tasks like catering and providing necessary services.
Class X or XII with science subjects. Age limit: 16 to 25 years
The All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test (AIMNET) is conducted by Bharat Shipping Limited in various courses like Nautical Science and Marine Engineering usually in November or December. Only unmarried males and females are eligible.
- B.Sc. (Nautical Science)
- B. Sc. (Nautical Technology)
- B. E. (Marine Engineering)
- B. Tech (Naval Architecture and Ship Building)
- B. Tech (Marine Engineering)
- Tolani Maritime Institute, Mumbai, Maharashtra. Web: http://www.tmi.tolani.edu/
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra. Web : https://www.samundra.com/
- International Maritime Institute, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training, Pune, Maharashtra. Web: http://www.manetpune.edu.in/
- Indian Maritime University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu