A computer application (also known as computer software) is the outcome of computer programming which allows the users to perform numerous tasks which were rather impossible to do manually. An application differs from an operating system which runs a computer and programming tools that are created by the computer programs. Software application can be divided into two categories:
(A) Systems software which consists of programs that interact with the computer at a primary level and includes operating systems, compilers, and utilities for managing computer resources. This manages and integrates a computer’s capabilities but does not directly perform tasks that benefit the user.
(B) Applications software applies the power of particular computing system software to a particular purpose and includes database programs, word processors, and spreadsheets. This is also called end-user programs.
There are different types of application software according to particular needs. The list of applications of computers is very long. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Electronic media, e.g. Web browser and Media players
- Data management, e.g. Spreadsheet and Personal database
- Documentation, e.g. Word processing, DTP, Diagramming, Email, etc.
- Finance, e.g. arithmetic software, banking software, Clearing systems, etc.
- Entertainment, e.g. Video games, PC games, Mobile games, etc.
- Education, e.g. Classroom management, Reference software etc.
- Media, e.g. Animation, Graphic art, 3D computer graphics etc.
- Product, e.g. Hardware like computer-aided designs, Software engineering like compiler software, integrated development environment, etc.
- Simulation, e.g. scientific, aero planes, space simulators, etc.
- Business, e.g. Budgeting, sales analysis, business workflow, etc.
The services of a graduate in computer application (BCA) are universal. There are thousands of qualified graduates and post-graduates from India who are working abroad and getting hefty pay packages. The demand exceeds the supply. In present day time it is rather impossible to work without the aid of computers whether it is banks, education, medical field, or scores of other fields.
10+2 in science stream
Undergraduate course :
Practically, the courses at different levels in computer application are being taught in all leading universities across India.
- Private and government agencies, and educational institutions
- Wipro Technologies
- Del HCL, IBM, Accenture, Infosys, Mahindra BHEL, Ericsson.
- Cognizant Technologies, Convergys Information Management
- Aditya Trading Solutions
- Game designing industries
- Newspapers and magazines
- Wand films