Environment, in simplest terms can be summarized as natural life on earth. An environmentalist is someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution. Environmental science is the branch of biology that deals with the relations between organisms, their environment and the solution of environmental problems. It encompasses other fields like ecology, geology, chemistry, physics and atmospheric science.
Due to industrialization, environment is being affected rapidly and there is urgent need of correcting the elements responsible for its constant destruction. Many of the species have disappeared from earth and many more are on the verge of extinction. The responsibility of an environmentalist is to protect our environment from these elements. It is a huge task and unless and until the balance between life and nature is not equated, it cannot be achieved.
Sometime ago, not many people realized the importance of environment in our natural lives. But as species are vanishing, temperature is increasing, glaciers are melting, sea levels are increasing, forests are denuding, and the atmosphere is being polluted, it is the high time to protect our environment. Due to all these problems, the role of an environmentalist is extremely important. This has led to the introduction of environmental science as a subject. Pollution, whether it is air or water or in any other medium, is a global phenomenon as such. Thus, the scope of work and growth in this field is very wide and employment opportunities aplenty.
Scope of Environmental Studies:
management of forest and wildlife, urban planning,
pollution control boards, ministry of environment and forests, agriculture and water resources, research and development, NGOs, as a teacher in colleges, and international organisations.
(One can proceed to do M. Sc. and Ph. D. later
- Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh. Web : https://www.amu.ac.in/
- Anna University, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Web : https://www.annauniv.edu/
- Avadh University, Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh. Web : http://www.rmlau.ac.in/
- B.R. Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra. Web : http://www.bamu.ac.in/
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Agra, Uttar Pradesh. Web : http://www.dbrau.org.in/
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. Web : https://www.ccsuniversity.ac.in/ccsu/index.php
- Delhi Technological University (Formerly Delhi College of Engineering), Delhi. http://dtu.ac.in/
- Department of Environmental Biology, Delhi University, Delhi. Web : http://du.ac.in/du/
- GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, Uttar Pradesh. Web : http://www.gbpuat.ac.in/index.html
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi. Web : http://www.ipu.ac.in/
- Guru Jambheshwar University, Hisar, Haryana. Web : http://www.gjust.ac.in/
- School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. Web : https://www.jnu.ac.in/ses
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Web : http://www.tanuvas.ac.in/
- University of Jammu, Jammu, Jammu & Kashmir. Web : https://jammuuniversity.ac.in/
- University of Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Web : https://www.unom.ac.in/
- University of Mysore, Mysore, Karnataka. Web : http://www.uni-mysore.ac.in/
- Ministry of Environment & Forest
- University Colleges
- Government departments