Engineering is translating science into technology. An engineer is imaginative and creates and designs quality products based on theoretical models of science. Simplifying complex problems in technological areas is a great challenge for an engineer. The great Indian civil engineer Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaray who earned Bharat Ratna in 1955, is a role model for aspiring engineers. Every year, 15 September is celebrated as Engineer’s Day in India in his memory. Look at Mr. E. Sreedharan who changed the living style of many with his contribution to the Delhi Metro. Alfred Hitchcock, Yasser Arafat, Jimmy Carter, and Henry Ford had engineering backgrounds too.
There was a time in mid-sixties in India when engineering graduates, particularly civil engineers, were not getting proper jobs. Thereafter, there has been no dearth of jobs. Those who are good in mathematics and physics, opt to go into the engineering sector. Before early seventies there was no competition and the marks in XII class CBSE were the main criteria. Now there is cut-throat competition, particularly in IITs. There is much demand of engineers in India and engineering is going to remain the top-most preferred career in years to come.
great opportunities in every field of engineering. Apart from the traditional
arenas of civil, mechanical, electric engineering, one can find scope in
process engineering, automation, control system, material management, field
engineering and many other new areas. The engineering sector is growing rapidly
in India and helps getting employment opportunities for young engineering
Earlier, very few girls opted for engineering in India, but now the scenario is changing. According to a study conducted by a group of engineers in IIT Mumbai, around 22 % of women are enrolled in engineering and technology sectors. It is observed that companies with more women perform better than their counter-parts where finance and decision-making are concerned.
Lakhs of students vie for a seat in various engineering institutions but only the most able get chance. The opportunities for employment are aplenty and many of them get campus selection even before completing their engineering education. Various institutions, both government and private, offer B.E. or B.Tech. degrees. Getting admission in IITs is a matter of prestige. The courses are usually of 4-year duration. Every science has its engineering counterpart, for engineer’s job is giving a practical shape to a scientific theory. An aspirant for engineering should have skill to apply scientific knowledge to design and build machines and user-friendly devices.
Below are some popular branches of engineering:
- Electronics & Communication
- Nano Technology
- Urban Planning
Entry to Engineering Courses :
After doing +2 from a recognized board, a candidate with science background can try the following competitions:
(1) INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY JOINT ENTRANCE EXAM – (IIT-JEE):
This is considered as the toughest engineering entrance examination as the selected students get entry to Indian Institutes of Technology, which is the most prestigious among all the institutes in India. Lakhs of aspirants vie for nearly ten thousand seats to get admissions in 15 IITs at present which have around 9,000 seats including ISM Dhanbad & IISER.
The examination format consists of two objective type papers, each containing math, physics and chemistry sections. The number of institutes accepting admission through JEE: 15 IITs, ISM Dhanbad, IIT-BHU. Web: www.jee.iitd.ac.in
(2) ALL INDIA ENGINEERING ENTRANCE EXAM (AIEEE):
Around 27000 seats for BE / B. Tech & 950 seats for B. Arch / B. Planning in various institutions including National Institutes of Technology, IIITs, deemed universities, technical institutions, Delhi Technological University, Delhi and other government-funded Institutions are affiliated through this examination. The examination format consists of two objective type papers, each containing math, physics and chemistry sections.
The number of institutes accepting admission through AIEEE: 5 Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) and 30 National Institutes of Technology (NITs), including Delhi Technological University (DTU), PEC University, BIT Mesra, School of Planning & Architecture, SASTRA and many other deemed universities.
(3) BIRLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY & SCIENCE ADMISSION TEST (BITSAT):
Based on the prescribed syllabus of senior secondary NCERT courses, this is relatively easier than IIT-JEE. The examination is held in BITS Pilani campuses in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad. The duration of the exam is three hours. The examination format consists of two objective multiple-choice questions type papers, each containing math, physics and chemistry sections. It has four sections and total 150 questions. Candidates need to pass XII with at least 80% marks in aggregate in PCM with a minimum of 60% marks in each (PCM). Web: www.bitsadmission.com
(4) VELLORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (VITEE):
The examination pattern is objective exam with questions in physics, maths, chemistry and biology.
(5) THE INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ALL INDIA ADMISSION TEST (ISAT):
Asia’s first Space Institute and the first in the world to offer the complete
range of undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral programmes with specific focus
on space science, technology and applications. Admissions to the undergraduate
programmes (B.Tech.) at IIST are made through an All India Admission Test
(ISAT). The candidates must have secured at least 70% marks in aggregate in
their PCM papers in the entrance exam and 70 % in class X also. The question
paper is of objective type and consists of three separate sections on physics,
chemistry and mathematics.
(6) BHARTIYA VIDYAPEETH ENGINEERING ENTRANCE EXAM (BVPEEE):
Thousands of students take this prestigious examination for 700 seats. The entrance exam will 200 objective questions from math and physics with each subject having 100 questions.
(7) AMRITA ENGINEERING ENTRANCE (AEE):
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham conducts its Engineering Entrance Examination every year on an all India basis for admission to the 4-year B. Tech programmes with around 1250 seats offered in the 3 campuses at Amritapuri (Kollam), Bengaluru, and Ettimadai (Coimbatore). The exam pattern consists of only one question paper of 3 hours duration containing 120 objective type questions in mathematics, physics and chemistry.
Well-known Professional Institutions:
- Indian Institute of Technology (lIT) (Bhubaneswar, Bombay, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Mandi, Patna, Roorkee, Ropar, Varanasi)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences (BITS) (Goa, Hyderabad, Pilani)
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore, Tamil Nadu. https://vit.ac.in/
- National Institute of Technology (NIT) (Agartala, Allahabad, Bhopal, Kozhikode, Delhi, Durga pur, Jaipur, Imphal, Shillong, Shillong, Dimapur, Jalandhar, Jamshedpur, Kurukshetra, Nagpur,
Patna, Raipur, Raurkela, Silchar, Srinagar, Surat, Warangal.)
- Delhi Technological University (Formerly Delhi College of Engineering), Delhi. http://dtu.ac.in/
- International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) (Allahabad, Jabalpur, GwaIior, Kanchipuram, Vadodara, Guwahati, Hyderabad.)
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT), Delhi. http://www.nsit.ac.in/
- Motilal Nehru Institute of Technology (MNIT), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. http://www.mnnit.ac.in/
- College of Engineering, Pune, Maharashtra . https://www.coep.org.in/
- R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, Karnataka. https://www.rvce.edu.in/
- Harcourt Butler Technical University (HBTU), Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. https://hbtu.ac.in/
- Thapar Institute Of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab . http://www.thapar.edu/
- Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra. https://www.ictmumbai.edu.in/
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Chandigarh. http://uiet.puchd.ac.in/
- P.E.S Institute of Technology, Bangalore, Karnataka. https://www.pes.edu/
- National Institute of Engineering (NIE), Mysore, Karnataka. https://www.nie.ac.in/
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI), Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. https://www.mitindia.edu/en/
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, Jharkhand . https://www.iitism.ac.in/
- Osmania University College of Engineering, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. https://www.osmania.ac.in/
Note: This list is not definitive and all inclusive. Except these colleges, there are a number of private and aided colleges run all across the country that offer the above-mentioned courses.
1. Fire & Safety Engineering
10+2 in science stream
(University of Petroleum & Energy Studies — UPES, Dehradun)
Fire and safety engineering concerns with precautionary measures to be taken and reducing the likelihood of a fire that may results in casualties and damage of properties. This also includes planned construction of a building or carrying out of structures that are already standing as well as industrial safety solutions.
- Fire and Safety Engineer
- Safety officer
- Health, Safety and Environment Engineer
- industrial Fire and Safety Engineer
- Fire and Safety Consultant
- Researching the causes of fire and determining the protection methods.
- Recommending and designing fire detection maternal or equipment.
- Carrying out fire safety audits, field surveys.
2. Transport Design
This interdisciplinary program deals with fundamentals of design with specific skills of a transportation system design. The course covers a broad spectrum from personal to mass transportation. It is not only limited to automobile design but to design systems which enhance mobility for human beings and commodities. Studies include the understanding and identification of the transportation needs and issues facing the country and finding creative solutions.
Eligibility criteria :
equivalent (Minimum 60 % marks)
(UPES Engineering aptitude Test)
Bachelor’s degree in engineering / Technology / Architecture / Design / interior / Design /Fine Arts/ Applied Arts
Top Companies Hiring Students:
- Maruti Suzuki India
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- Tata Motors
- TVS Motors
- Hero Motocorp
- HAL, Bajaj Auto
Professional Institute :
University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Energy Acres, P.O. Bidholi, via Prem Nagar, Dehradun. Web: www.upes.ac.in